View Single Post
Old March 30th, 2013, 10:15 AM   #460
L4CX
Out for the Summer!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryann View Post
Also the old treatment does not contain the entire Jewish religious texts so don't claim to know their laws and history if you only know the OT. The early church went through many religious "god inspired" texts and decided which ones fit their goals best and excluded what they didn't like.
Thier goals in the council were to streamline the scripture to point to the Gospel of Jesus Christ. If I was going to edit scripture to make it easier on me or give me more power/money, I'd take out half the things Jesus said. They didn't. Who in thier right mind would want the key character in the text saying "The first shall be last and the last shall be first" or "Give all your belongings to the poor and follow me", Or maybe "love your enimies as your self". There was no conspiracy to make the church more powerful because of this process. It was to point to Christ. The resulting text that came from the council proves that time and time again.

Not only that but they had strict guidelines to that process. Time of authorship, verifiable information, age and condition of manuscripts, and, personally, I'm have faith that they were called by God to do so and sought his discernment in the process.
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.04496 seconds with 11 queries