Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - CNC software opinions..Edgecam vs Mastercam
View Single Post
Old March 13th, 2013, 05:25 PM   #1
toolmantim
Go lil yellow Roobicon...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default CNC software opinions..Edgecam vs Mastercam

I know there are quite a few folks on here who program CNC's so I thought I'd get some opinions on edgecam vs mastercam...

My shop has Surfcam, always has. Last few years it has sucked for upgrades of any kind, and the maintenance fee was a waste. I refuse to even install the latest version because the version running actually works and is only kinda buggy...

Surfcam was bought by Edgecam last month.

We just installed a new boring mill that is going to require another cam seat.

Boss figures we might as well buy 2 seats of whatever software we get.

Options are Mastercam and Edgecam.

I have run mastercam in the past and the new boring mill operator who starts on monday has used it also. It is more money and I know it has plenty of bugs since it just went from DOS based in the last couple years.

I know nothing about edgecam other than what the salesman and the cute lady were telling me today...and that it is nothing like either surcam or mastercam...but it can translate Inventor files and solids like butter on toast.

We don't do any 5th axis and almost no 4th axis either.....99% of our stuff is simple 2D on 3 axis machines.....but I do a fair amount of surface work on some really small pieces in my Haas machines that finish with a .03125 2 flute ball mill so those files get real big real fast.

I appreciate any insight especially concerning edgecam from the groupies here.

Northwest Ohio Crawlers
toolmantim is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06055 seconds with 20 queries