Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Carl Levin is leaving!
View Single Post
Old March 8th, 2013, 08:35 AM   #14
WSU JK

Location: Lowering the Per-Capita Income of Bloomfield Hills since 2009!
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel2345 View Post
There is a downside to this. There have been talks of him running for governor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusKegon_ZJ_gurl View Post
aaaaaand
Moley may be in the running as his replacement.
No dice to either of those happening. While the Mole is still liked by some Dems, there are more than enough in her own party in this state (including this one) who were more than happy to see her high tail it out of Michigan after her time was done. I think she's pretty well done for elected office here.

As for Levin running for governor? I don't think that will happen either, although I'm sure he would put up a good fight. He would be 80 when he would take office if he were to win in 2014. I believe him when he says he wants to spend more time with his family. If he has any sort of career after politics (and besides possibly becoming a talking head on some network), I imagine he is more likely to become an adjunct professor of law or political science at WSU.

My money is on Gary Peters (current congressman from the 14th District) to run for Levin's seat and win in the Democratic primary next year.

It will be more interesting to see who the Republicans pick to run for the seat. The party does not have a history of picking good senate candidates in this state over the past few decades and even with a current upswing for the party in local and congressional races (not to mention having an R as the governor). Pete Hoekstra and Mike Cox are about the only ones with statewide name recognition so they are pretty good bets to enter the race, even though they don't have much electoral success.

Who knows, maybe Mitt's (ex) sister-in-law will run for the seat again like she did in 1996.
WSU JK is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.07316 seconds with 20 queries