View Single Post
Old March 7th, 2013, 06:26 PM   #67
GreaseMonkey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
There is no "atheist thought process". Nuggets, do you actively believe in any gods (not think there "could or might be")? If no, you lack a belief in god(s), therefore you would be an atheist, just like everyone was before they were indoctrinated into their particular flavor or religion.

That lack of belief in a god or gods, is the ONLY thing that links atheists as a "group". It is the only characteristic that you can say about an atheist. There are liberal atheists, conservative atheists, atheists that are anti-religion, atheists that are apathetic towards religion, etc.
I personally don't like to say I'm an atheist, because then it looks like I'm one of those assholes demanding the Pledge of Allegiance be removed from schools and In God We Trust to be removed from our money. I'm not a big fan of religion, but it has it's pros and cons. I don't care what religion other people are, and what their beliefs are even though my opinion might be they are odd.

The better definition is an apatheist, which is what I call myself.

Apatheism (/ˌŠpəˈθiːɪzəm/ a portmanteau of apathy and theism/atheism), also known as pragmatic atheism or (critically) as practical atheism, is acting with apathy, disregard, or lack of interest towards belief or disbelief in a deity. Apatheism describes the manner of acting towards a belief or lack of a belief in a deity, so it applies to both theism and atheism. An apatheist is also someone who is not interested in accepting or denying any claims that gods exist or do not exist. In other words, an apatheist is someone who considers the question of the existence of gods as neither meaningful nor relevant to his or her life.
Apathetic agnosticism (also called pragmatic agnosticism) acknowledges that any amount of debate can neither prove, nor disprove, the existence of one or more deities, and if one or more deities exist, they do not appear to be concerned about the fate of humans. Therefore, their existence has little to no impact on personal human affairs and should be of little theological interest.
Apatheists hold that if it were possible to prove that God exists, their behavior would not change. Similarly, there would be no change if someone proved that God does not exist.[1]
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.05345 seconds with 11 queries