Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Bicycle Tax: Cycling is bad for the environment
View Single Post
Old March 7th, 2013, 09:15 AM   #28
mtnbikinbryno

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mtnbikinbryno

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORD FLARESIDE View Post
Actually, with the amount of money this state is putting into the bicycle trails, they should be taxed. That money is coming right out of the roads money or the SRF fund. Compared to snowmobiles, quads, off-roaders and the like, who have to permit to run a less extensive trail system. The bicyclist, roller bladers, runners, seem to get a free pass.

If the money to sustain/ build comes out of the transportation funding, then they should pay for the reward.
Source? And do you have any examples where the "State" is putting money into bike path projects? I'm not discrediting you, I just don't know of any current examples. Most of it is local municipalities who may or may not build and maintain their own roads.

FYI - all of the money I've ever seen used to build bike trails in the TC area comes from private fundraising or grants, most commonly the Michigan Natural Resources Trust Fund. Bike trails and other recreation investments bring people. And people bring a lot of money to local businesses.

This isn't even getting into the health benefits. I don't have a source handy but I've heard a stat that the obesity rates of children who live within a quarter mile from a trail are staggeringly lower than kids who don't.
mtnbikinbryno is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.04354 seconds with 20 queries