Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - duner & race guys help me out
View Single Post
Old March 6th, 2013, 11:23 AM   #5
JohnnyJ
Low Range Drifter

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)

Tough call. Personally, I would guess $3000 for a steal of a deal, $4000 for an ok deal and $5000 if its nicely built. I don't see anything high dollar on the rig, unless it's hidden in the engine or like you said the extras are top notch.

I would inspect the welds for quality. Check the frame for rot and look for general signs of booty fab. Unless you are buying for bargain basement prices, I would want a compression test and vacuum test on the motor to see if its truly built to the hilt and healthy.

Are those rear ladder bars in the pic? Cage looks semi-custom, so it'd be good to know what it's made of. Look for signs of kinking on the tubes.

There is a casting on the block that will say for certain you are getting a 401 and not a really common 304 or 360. AMCs that hit revs have been known to break rocker bridges or bend pushrods and not be running on all cylinders so a compression test should catch that.

Most common transfer case with a AMC TH400 is the QuadraTrac. It has passenger offset both front and rear. Second most common is Dana 20 using a factory adapter. Still pass drop up front, but centered rear. That would be your hope unless they went with a custom adapter.

Page generated in 0.06990 seconds with 20 queries