Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Blown motor What would you do?
View Single Post
Old March 6th, 2013, 08:15 AM   #18
bdd1469
bdd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to bdd1469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Dificult to find a good used TBI 5.7 anymore. Rebuilding is not cheap anymore, but you can get crate motor for a decent price. This may sound strange, but have you considered a 260 hp GM 350 with the old style heads? It has a better cam and better heads than a TBI 350, you would just need to modify the intake so the center bolts would line up - I have done this and it works great. I do have extra intake manifolds that I have modified laying around. Would part with one cheap!
I have done this in the past and it usually ends up with a cel and less power then the tbi 5.7 in my opinion. In my experience the gm tbi motors dont like cams that wernt made specifically for them.

Edit I have not used this exact crate motor so I cant say how the ecm likes the cam profile it uses. I have put several non tbi cams in tbi motors with less then great results.
This is a great deal on a crate motor and it makes more power then a 5.7 tbi. The horse power doesnt tell the whole story, I would look at the torque curve more for a heavy truck.
While they make 260+ with a carb it may only make 160hp if you have a cell and the ecm is always pulling timing.

Last edited by bdd1469; March 6th, 2013 at 08:31 AM.
bdd1469 is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.05354 seconds with 20 queries