Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Car hauler
Thread: Car hauler
View Single Post
Old February 22nd, 2013, 12:34 PM   #62
Coyote Red

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
HillBilly, I wouldn't mind a fixer upper however I can't find anything with a decent frame.

I have a few questions though, are the mobile home axles serviceable and where do you find replacement wheels and tires? Dexter clearly states that they are non serviceable and they don't offer any replacement parts. I figure you can find bearings and seals at a parts store, but I have no idea where you would get brake parts.
Some of mobile home axles that you get now are not serviceable, they have found it cheaper to buy new one time use axles than buy serviceable axles. My grandpa has a trailer that uses the serviceable axles and he gets parts down at the local travel trailer dealer. His axles have been cut and narrowed using a jig that also put a little bit of an arch in them when welded back up. It has hauled a fork lift so heavy that the truck and trailer rolled through the first stop sign he came to. Like hillbilly said they can be tricky get figured out but once you do they are extremely strong.
Coyote Red is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06803 seconds with 20 queries