Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - jeep cherokee springs
View Single Post
Old February 13th, 2013, 12:03 PM   #4
Haggar
Covered in mud...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach4739 View Post
you shouldnt have to with an add a leaf but careful getting that bolt out of the front of the rear leafs(the one that goes into the frame rail) i broke mine and it was hell getting the rest of it out

if you dont need to take it out dont!

gotta love MI salt
Correct, he should not need to remove the main leaf fromt he car with add a leafs.

Generally, the add a leaf goes right under the main leaf, then the rest of the leaves of under that.

You need new center pins and likely new u-bolts.

You need a couple good size C-clamps to get the packs all back together.

If you cannot get the old center pins out, and need to use a grinder to cut the bolt, cut it on the bottom side. Be careful not to nick the spring with the grinder. Cutting it on the bottom minimizes the risk so at least if you nick it, you are hitting the small bottom leaf, and not the main leaf. MAKE SURE you have the spring pack thoroughly clamped together first. If you remove the center pin without the leaves being clamped together, they can suddenly spring apart. I use 4 c clamps, spread throughout the spring.
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.05739 seconds with 20 queries