Got back from the trip out to King of the Hammers in Johnson Valley, California today. We wheeled Sunday through Wednesday and then watched the races on Thursday and Friday.
The jeep did pretty good but did manage to shit some parts over the week. Sunday afternoon I bent the front axle upper control arm bracket. Luckily we caught it Monday morning and took it over to the Ruff Stuff tent and they added some metal to it and it held for the rest of the week.
Monday the alternator started making noise about half way up Spooners and was toast as we cleared the top of the trail. White Rhino towed me back to camp so we wouldn't throw the serpentine belt and cause more problems. Again luck was on our side and the local car quest had a 145 amp upgrade and belt in stock which we installed Tuesday morning.
Tuesday we ran Outer Limits and made good progress until I was coming off a big ledge and bound up the steering and stripped the splines off the pitman arm. White Rhino provided the ready welder and JeepM715 welded it all together and it held up for the rest of the week.
The jeep had a stalling issue all day Tuesday that was annoying. On Wednesday we nut and bolted the car with the help of roger and scanned for codes and found a TPS code. We must have bumped the sensor loose while swapping alternators. We plugged in the sensor and it ran great again.
Wednesday the jeep ran great all day. We took it out on the dry lake bed and did a few passes and a few drag races. Everything was smooth and the engine makes great power.
Now it's just getting the bumps on, a new pitman arm and steering box, and getting it ready to pass safety inspection for the March TREC race.
Here's a video form the gopro coming down Outer Limits