Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - The "Cheap" XJ Build....now 5.3L XJ build
View Single Post
Old February 1st, 2013, 11:36 AM   #1
Why YJ?
Don't be a wuss... HIT IT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default The "Cheap" XJ Build....now 5.3L XJ build

I am not sure how much of a build thread this is going to be. It may end up more of a spot to just keep track of where I am at in this Jeep.

Lets start off by saying I sold my 95 YJ on fullwidth 60's and 39.5 Iroks, due to it never leaving the garage. I wanted to build something to use for the next couple years and then buy a JK. This Jeep will remain very road friendly, economical, and family friendly.

I bought the 1997 XJ Country with 198,000 miles at the end of Dec. 2012 for $1,000. The body is pretty rough and it has been in a slight rollover. It already had a brand new Rustys Offroad 3" lift installed. I should have taken some pics when I first picked it up but, I didn't. The motor is a reman and has 10,000 miles on it (with paperwork) which is the main reason I bought the Jeep.

The first thing I did was to remove the rear sway bar and start trimming the fenders for 31"-33 tires".

The next thing I did was buy some DIY bumpers from JCR Offroad. This was done to save cost but, it also meant I was going to be busting a** to get the Jeep ready for Snofari.

While building these I had to start searching for tires. I searched for a good two weeks or so. I found tires all over the place but most were sold by the time I called or were completely bald. I finally found some 33/12.5/15 MTR with decent tread on here for $200.

With the tires found it was time to look for wheels. Again I was looking for used to save money but stumbled across some Cragar Soft 8 on Summit Racings site. A set of four cost me $152.00 to my door.

Time to get them mounted:

Its starting to look like a Jeep

I finished up the bumpers and painted them up just in time for Snofari.

I had a blast at Snofari! I think this Jeep was even more fun than the old YJ

Running total so far:

JEEP: $1,000
WHEELS: $152.00
TIRES: $200
BUMPERS: $622
ROCK SLIDERS (Not pictured) $225
MISC TOOLS AND SMALL PARTS: $60
REAR DISC BRAKE CONVERSION PARTS (not pictured) $150
CB RADIO, CABLE, AND MOUNT $63
ROCKER PANELS: $165
USED HATCH AND FENDER: $100
PAINT AND SUPPLIES: $125

Grand Total So Far: $2,862

Future Plans
Lock front and rear axle
Adjustable Front Lower Control Arms
Stiffen Unibody
Stay under $4,000 budget and have a capable wheeler

Wheel the snot out of it.

I will keep this thread updated with a running cost and future mods

Run of the mill YJ with Dana 60's and Irok's..SOLD
96 XJ on 38's...SOLD
Paul
www.teamhodges.com

Last edited by Why YJ?; November 13th, 2013 at 06:09 PM.
Why YJ? is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.18703 seconds with 21 queries