Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - 5.7L Power upgrades
View Single Post
Old January 29th, 2013, 04:50 PM   #23
wave_crusher
I'll Direc your TV

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by montecarlo33 View Post
Didnt have gauges this fall but from the rough estimate I figured out using my phone to calculate mileage, I averaged aprox 14-15mpg. Keep in mind I have NO evap system hooked up on this motor and its running headers with no cats just a dual in/dual out muffler with turndowns and a heavy right foot. Found someone to do my wireharness, dropped in a vortec fuel pump, added and plumbed a corvette regulator. Drops in very well, but recommend a shorter oil pan, somthing I should have done while it was out. Unless your trans is the model with the removeable bellhousing you should switch it for one that is so that the computer can control it. Lots of trans rebuilders out there with swap new core for old style core like mine did. Best investment I ever put into the truck but it did cost just over 3k for the whole conversion but now have a rebuilt trans and a 21,000 mile 5.3 motor, just breathed new life into this older truck which should keep it on the road for years to come.

I still think just gears will give you the added power you need at a decent price. Wait to do a 5.3 until your engine is dieing, like mine that would smoke like a train for the first 2-3 minutes. But I can say it was worth every penny.
I really would love to do an engine swap, but I am going to hold off on it. The motor still has a lot of life left in it, it seems anyway. So why waste money fixing something that isn't broke?

I was going to get another tuner for my truck but i'm actually considering just sending my computer in to get it flashed, PCM for less probably. 190 bucks isn't bad at all for what you get. Though you can do a lot more with a handheld tuner; I think a real pcm tune would be a lot better overall.
wave_crusher is online now   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.08736 seconds with 20 queries