Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Oversized Tire Balancing -- Opinions and Options
View Single Post
Old January 29th, 2013, 03:10 PM   #16
MtnTime

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default Balancing any Large 4x4 Tires

The "Secret Sauce" for balancing large 4x4 tires. I have an F350 Dually with 10" lift and converted to a super single. I have Pitbull 47x21 on 17x16 rims and it rides like a Cadilac at every speed. Forget the beads, they dont work. Hopping, death wobble, vibration, tire humming all can be curred. Here are the initial facts about your new or used tires. They are completely out of whack when you get them new. The Tread is uneven, out of round from the bead and can be as much as 100 ounces out of balance as I found out on mine. Out of round tires causes the death wobble in the steering wheel and/or severe hoping and balancing issues. The more Uneven the nobbies/treads are the loader the roar of your tires.

Find a Large Truck Tire company next to a major innerstate that does Tire Truing and Balancing. A lot of Semi trucks run super singles now and they will be able to accomidate up to 47's no problem. Have them True your tires on the rims and then Balance. They shaved very little off my 47's and they were way out of round and treads were uneven with the pavement. The result now is it rides like a Cadilac with literally no road noise/tire hum from these massive size tires. My friends are blown away that a truck this size rides so nice! Not to mention the wife is very happy!

If your in Virginia the place to go is Central Tire in Verona.

Hope this info helps!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F350 MTN Time.jpg
Views:	738
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	101316  
MtnTime is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.07018 seconds with 21 queries