Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - 5.7L Power upgrades
View Single Post
Old January 29th, 2013, 01:18 PM   #22
montecarlo33
The Violator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave_crusher View Post
What kind of mileage are you getting from your '92? I know asking for more mileage and power is asking ALOT but, really I just don't wanna end up with something that gets 8 mpg for an some extra hp and tq. What about getting a crate engine? never actually looked at prices for them before

I've just been reading interwebz professionals, what would all be needed for a 5.3L swap, some say transmission, some say they make adapters for the early 4L60E. I'm sure there's gotta be a company that makes whole kit or something like that
Didnt have gauges this fall but from the rough estimate I figured out using my phone to calculate mileage, I averaged aprox 14-15mpg. Keep in mind I have NO evap system hooked up on this motor and its running headers with no cats just a dual in/dual out muffler with turndowns and a heavy right foot. Found someone to do my wireharness, dropped in a vortec fuel pump, added and plumbed a corvette regulator. Drops in very well, but recommend a shorter oil pan, somthing I should have done while it was out. Unless your trans is the model with the removeable bellhousing you should switch it for one that is so that the computer can control it. Lots of trans rebuilders out there with swap new core for old style core like mine did. Best investment I ever put into the truck but it did cost just over 3k for the whole conversion but now have a rebuilt trans and a 21,000 mile 5.3 motor, just breathed new life into this older truck which should keep it on the road for years to come.

I still think just gears will give you the added power you need at a decent price. Wait to do a 5.3 until your engine is dieing, like mine that would smoke like a train for the first 2-3 minutes. But I can say it was worth every penny.

Last edited by montecarlo33; January 29th, 2013 at 01:22 PM.
montecarlo33 is online now   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.19285 seconds with 20 queries