View Single Post
Old January 11th, 2013, 09:29 PM   #56
High Center Hancho
rack tap re-rack click

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bow_Extreme View Post
I have 2000 sqft. of house to heat. I installed a small englander Woodstove and about 25' of the Menards Stainless wood stove pipe. I burn dead seasoned wood such as elm, ash, cherry, and a little Osage orange. I keep a stove top thermometer and burn at 500-700 deg. far. I do not have a probe in the flue so I cannot tell you what that temp would be. At the end of the season I clean the chimney and generally I do not get more than few cups of ash and creosote out of the chimney. It's always fairly clean.

If your having chimney fires your not doing it right. Check out Hearth.com and do some reading. My heating bills during the winter would get as high as $300.00 in the coldest months. Burning wood, my gas bill is around $30.00 per month. This is mainly the water heater and occasional furnace if I don't keep the wood stove going at night. I also enjoy cutting firewood and look forward to it. I have to say I have the best chainsaw in the world and I will gladly put it head to head with anything comparable. Dolmar 7900 is a very nice piece of equipment!!

This being said, I'm looking at fabricating a GARN style boiler to heat my home and future barn. My brother has built several boiler units, simple, around 240 gallons, water jacketed door, and he burns whatever he wants and achieves burn times of 24 hours plus. I think he has around $2400.00 total into his personal boiler and its been running for the last 3 years with no issue.
I can get 24 hour burn times too...except you burn a shit ton more wood that way, the more you load the less wood you use. A boiler unlike a BBQ likes fire not coals...you over load that stove and you end up with a massive pile of coals, which will not keep up with demand as well as fire
High Center Hancho is online now   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.04017 seconds with 11 queries