Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Outdoor Wood Furnace owners
View Single Post
Old January 10th, 2013, 05:27 PM   #17
92FleXj
stacks stacked on stacks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
I keep telling hancho, if you can dedicate approximately 1/2 acre to growing hybrid poplar trees you can grow enough wood to keep your house heated.

Of course you will need a 1-2 year lead time to let the trees start to grow big enough to cut down.

THere is plenty of info out there, but the idea is start with 500 trees, wait until the base is 4" diameter, cut half the trees down and use for your first years firewood. Replenish those 250 trees.

Following that you shouldn't need to replenish often at all, but you will at least have the room to do so if you so choose. Obviously as the trees get longer and larger in diameter you will not have to take nearly as many of them down.

I grew up with a wood burner, and I am heating my house this winter with wood. It has saved me in two months approximately $75-85 each month. My heating costs previously were not high, but I like Hancho enjoy cutting up the wood, splitting, burning things, the exrercise I get from it, etc.

That said, If I had a bit more space between my house and my neighbors there would be zero question about it I would have an outdoor wood burner. I have shopped them and so far I am pretty sold on the central boiler that hancho has and the OP is considering. My next house will certainly have one.
I sucked at FarmVille.. All my crops died.

I'ma fuck it. You're gonna like it too.
92FleXj is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.04602 seconds with 20 queries