Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Outdoor Wood Furnace owners
View Single Post
Old January 10th, 2013, 03:56 PM   #8
GearDrive
A little slow

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Center Hancho View Post
I have the Central Boiler 5036, I've been running it for the past five years. It works awesome. If you are used to burning wood then you know you are fooling yourself if you think you are saving money. Sourcing, cutting, splitting, stacking, filling all that wood takes time. But if you are like me which I assume you are because you already heat with wood, the work you have to put into it is worth it.

Now I have found my stove runs best using split 18" or so wood. You can put full logs into it, however, I found I use less wood by burning split. I fill it two to four times a day, depending. I never fill it completely full, I only fill the front half of the burn box and I won't always fill it to the top, just a few logs or so. Again this comes down to experimenting with wood usage. I have found I use less wood filling it more times a day, than stuffing it and filling it once a day.

Wood usage also comes down to how cold it is outside. When it dips down to the single digits it defiantly burns more wood than does when its warmer. I heat the hot water, a 3800 sq house, and a 1400 sq shop. I also have a pool heater hooked to it to use in the summer. Any questions feel free to ask, and yes I would buy a central boiler again.
Yes, I agree about the saving money thing. My wood is not free although I own 40 acres with woods I still pay $3500/yr in taxes. The fact that I'm more self sufficient, do some mild four wheeling to get thru the woods. and just being outside in my own woods that I worked my ass off to get is a great feeling and well worth it.
GearDrive is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06463 seconds with 20 queries