View Single Post
Old January 3rd, 2013, 11:47 AM   #25
kickstand
sHaMoNe!

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORD FLARESIDE View Post
I see where you are going with this but in reality the difference is that "Cars' are not in the second amendment. You do not have the right to drive, its a privlege. However the second amendment says I have the right to bear arms;

A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Thats all well and good. In no way shape or form am I suggesting the government take those rights away, i'm simply suggesting harsher penalties for gun owners to face when their gun is used illegally or unsafely (ie if you carelessly allow your gun to get stolen and a theif robs a bank with it you should be held responsible in some fashion for carelssly storing your gun).

I am suggesting also that those who exercise their right to own a gun, which is a tool that is capable of great damage and the taking of lives, be encouraged since they should have nothing to hide, to register that gun, and take some "REASONABLE" amount of gun safety, refresher, etc certifications similar to that of a cpl or concealed or whatever you want to call it course on a semi regular basis.

We don't allow people to fly planes, drive cars, or even operate boats without some sort of license. Why is it so hard to keep the ability to own whatever gun we want, but be able to prove we have the mental capacity and level headedness to own and operate it safely?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmenn View Post
Yes, I would agree with that. Specifically I don't want see a bunch of gun bans put into effect. Most of these crazies involved in these mass shootings get their guns illegally or because someone was careless with their gun storage. Those intent on killing people will find another way to do it without a gun.
This is the part that I think needs to be targeted more BEFORE taking away rights.

An owner of a gun needs to be held responsible for what it is used for.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06207 seconds with 11 queries