Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - St Helen Trails 12/28
View Single Post
Old January 2nd, 2013, 02:02 AM   #13
oz97tj
Wasn't this attached?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8PTBUCK View Post
Will do. There were quite a few others in full size vehicles back on the trails I was on parked and were hunting. A lot of the trails, or I guess they are called routes, I was on seemed that two vehicles could easily fit. Maybe somebody knows where to find the rules of the ORV trails. All I found were general rules about what trails allow what vehicles. I didn't find anything about when you are not allowed on them. But yea I'm sure it won't be long until everybody gets their voice on this.
Basic rules are simple. ORV Route is fullsize use. The ORV Trail is 50 inch and under stuff. What isn't really explained and what confuses many people is the forest roads. Most of the trails in the area are considered forest roads which require your vehicle to be state licensed and insured, but that shouldn't be an issue if you drove there. They aren't mapped in any one place. I grew up near West Branch and have been looking for one comprehensive map for years and I'm convinced it just doesn't exist. I have probably over a dozen different books and maps and such for different maps but none have everything. The best I've found though is actually called "The Michigan Gazeteer". It's doesn't list Routes and trails and such, but it basically has lines marked where there is a path. It's up to you to figure out if you're allowed to be on it but it's helpful if you're lost. Garmin street maps actually have most of the trails mapped too but they are old and aren't the most accurate, but helpful enough to get you back to the real world if you get too lost. Then again, pick a heading and stick with it as much as possible and you'll always end up at a road soon enough too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter Ego View Post
Oz's Jeep is downright anti-bling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Green again View Post
Will someone please argue with me?
oz97tj is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.57340 seconds with 20 queries