Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - ranger vs s10 vs ?? for light duty hauling ONE TIME
View Single Post
Old December 13th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #56
82cj7ltd
Saved by Grace

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadirtracer View Post
$700 to get the tub shipped or...

$1500 for a truck
$125 at the SOS for tax, title, and registration.
$75 for insurance for the month while you drive it and wait for it to sell.
$150 for tune-up and maintenance items to make it trip worthy.
$375 for fuel based on 1400 mile trip at 15 mpg $4.00 a gallon.
$25 for food.
-$1500 after selling the truck.
$750 grand total. That's assuming you bring someone with you and drive non-stop so no need for lodging.

I don't see where you think you will be saving so much money.
well first off, like I said, I didn't give all the details because this ISN'T what I asked for help on. just want to make that clear, sorry.
All the trucks I've found were $12-1500, and all said they would take $1200 or less, one would take $900. So recalculating the numbers gives:

$1200 for a truck
$110 at the SOS for tax, title, and registration.
My insurance is only $50 a month, and I will be driving it after I return home, so that doesn't even count.
$100- Of all these trucks, the most I needed was a shifter bushing. They all are older, but have recently had tuneups and such. I shouldn't be spending any more than $50 on it, but I'll split it with $150 and say
$300-Even renting a truck, I only had the fuel at ~$320. Should be less, since all the ones I'm considering get 18 or better. Likely to be <300, but I'l say .
Bringing my own food and cooler. Free.
-$1200 after selling the truck.

$510 grand total under my compromises in our price differences.
With some added details I know, it will probably end up at around $430.

THIS IS NEGLECTING THE FACT THAT THE FRONT CLIP ISNT SHIPPED FOR $700!!!!
that's another $250+, because though I get a discount for having things on the same truck, it still takes up space. I also have a box of parts, including a dash and other bulky things that will take up space.

Even given the $510 compromise, OR YOUR $750 initial guess, That's over $200 difference from yours, $400 from my in between guess, and around $470 under the fairly likely circumstances.
Why did I leave the other items details out in the first place???
Because I ASKED FOR HELP IN CHOOSING A GOOD VEHICLE NOT WHETHER OR NOT I WAS SMART, STUPID, BAD at MATH, or BAD AT DECISION MAKING!!!

I've run these numbers quite a few times, trust me. I didn't just do the first thing that popped into my head. If I was looking for brainstorming advice, I promise I would've asked. Sorry to seem so uptight, but if you look at what I started asking, and how I have to defend my thread subject from this onslaught of suggestions, I think you'd feel the same way.

edit: despite his initial comments, cerial's suggestion was helpful. I am looking into truck freight shipping, so anyone knows who may want to jump on me about it can take a rest.

Last edited by 82cj7ltd; December 13th, 2012 at 08:46 PM.
82cj7ltd is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.08609 seconds with 20 queries