Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - ranger vs s10 vs ?? for light duty hauling ONE TIME
View Single Post
Old December 13th, 2012, 07:24 PM   #54
82cj7ltd
Saved by Grace

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave_crusher View Post
The only reason i didn't mention the 350 is just because you were looking for a smaller truck to tow with. you'll get about 13 mpg with a 350 auto total on your trip. It'll tow the crap out of your 1,000 lb payload though. The 5.0 probably wouldn't be much better on mpg, maybe 15, but you can find them a lot easier with a manual. I just mentioned manual beacuse it'll be better mpg but an auto is just fine to, nothing really wrong as long as it doesn't have 150k+ miles on it

You can find a 2wd 4.3 chevy w/t everywhere and it'll tow it great

A dakota is great too, the 3.9 is a pretty good motor but the mpg sucks, as with any dodge. The only problem is that they a lot less common in general and are more expensive.

Really all you need to look for is something that has a good size six cylinder minimum; auto or manual doesn't matter, just personal preference. Your going to be taking a gamble no matter what you buy because you wont be able to have a good test before you go, your trip will be the test.
cool, yea it's seeming like a 6 cyl is best for the job. I guess I'm realizing that 1k lbs isn't enough to be worrying about the clutch- assuming it isn't abused. I should be able to test it for about a week before I take it down south, if that seems better to anyone else. Thanks for your help, for actually taking this seriously, and not calling me senseless all the while. If you have anything else to add, please do. I appreciate it.
82cj7ltd is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.07614 seconds with 20 queries