Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - 308 AR platform vs bolt action guns
View Single Post
Old November 20th, 2012, 08:33 PM   #39
FlatFender
Tap Tap Splat

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Center Hancho View Post
I understand there is more to it than looks...hence blindfolded you couldn't tell what you were shooting and everything would be based off feel. As far as the bad reputation, everyone I know that has a bushmaster has never had problems with theirs...the reputation is based on nothing, and only repeated by uneducated AR snobs...

DPMS, same thing...in fact we use full auto DPMS at work and those have countless amounts of rounds through them and they still work fine...so again, where does this rep come from?
The reputation is based on many things:
1. Non staked gas keys. For years Bushmaster didn't bother to do this, leading to a lot of gas keys coming loose while firing, rendering the rifle useless.

2. Accuracy issues. Many are known to be 3-4 minute guns.

3. Non MPI/HP tested bolts.

4. Inferior steel used for bolts. Mil-spec is 158 Carpenter, Bushy and DPMS do not use this, and there are a lot of bolts that shear teeth at relatively low round counts because of this.

5. QC issues. BM is known for shipping rifles with non-staked, finger tight castle nuts.

6. Use of commercial buffer tubes limits buttstock options.

For the same amount of money, there are much better options on the market. I'd steer clear, but what do I know, I'm just an armchair commando.
FlatFender is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.05986 seconds with 20 queries