Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Trish's XJ build
View Single Post
Old November 15th, 2012, 07:56 AM   #32
8PTBUCK
Hobo Joe and the TCG

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaXJ View Post
Welder or not, you better be involved in the swap! I didn't know how to do any of this stuff at your age, but no better way to learn than helping someone who knows their stuff. Get under there and get dirty, even if you're just handing them wrenches and beers you'll learn new ideas, tips, tricks, methods, and probably some impressive profanity.
He's got a point! All we have are GM trucks so I'd always watch my dad and help him (hand wrenches and light) when I was really young. When I bought my truck, I was pretty knowledgeable about repairs, and then when I bought my TJ, I was clueless! My dad doesn't know anything about Jeeps, and only a few of my friends do who live close, so I was pretty much on my own! I've just had to learn most of it on my own. And my dad has been learning just by watching me! I was doing my ball joints last week and I got the passenger side done, which was a bitch! I started on the driver side and couldn't get them out. No torches and I had a crappy press. I had it flat bedded to a friends shop to get the last two BJ's done. My dad put together the whole driver side axle/hub assembly by himself just from watching me do it countless times. So like he said Collin, that does help just by paying attention. And who knows, you might get a beer out of it
8PTBUCK is online now   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06675 seconds with 20 queries