Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - How We Need To Start Reforming Elections
View Single Post
Old November 9th, 2012, 09:02 PM   #25
WSU JK

Location: Lowering the Per-Capita Income of Bloomfield Hills since 2009!
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS View Post
x3

Presidential elections are no longer decided by the country but by a few states due to the current all or nothing way the majority of the country uses for the electoral college.

If it went by district it would be a hell of a lot more representative of the true will of the people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschaffer66 View Post
Would this really be much different than going by popular vote? How are districts laid out? Geographically or population based? Would more heavily populated districts have more "votes", and lighter districts less?
Personally I am in favor of getting rid of the electoral college altogether. It basically disenfranchises huge chunks of voters in conservative and liberal states alike. Just like most of the folks in Michigan, outside of a small chunk of Detroit and the close in suburbs voted for Romney and got nothing for it, the opposite happened for voters in places like Oklahoma City, St. Louis, Kansas City, Phoenix, etc.

Since I don't see the legislatures taking up an amendment to get rid of the electoral college anytime soon, I think if more states were to spread their votes around like Maine and Nebraska do, that would be a step in the right direction.

For those unfamiliar with those systems, Maine and Nebraska each give two of their electoral votes to the winner of the popular vote in that state and divide up the rest of their electoral votes to the presidential candidate who got the most votes in each individual congressional district.

FYI, if all 50 states, plus the District of Columbia, had that system in place this time around, Romney would have won with 288 electoral votes to Obama's 249 votes (there is still one undecided congressional race in Louisiana but it would not effect the presidential outcome at this point).

Since the size of the congressional districts are determined mainly by their population, this would be a step in the right direction toward getting a popular vote system. The average population in the congressional districts (as of 2011, I wasn't paying attention and pulled that data instead of 2010 which is what I should have used since that is what was used to redraw the districts) was 714,660. The least populous district is Michigan's 13th Congressional District with 506,036 and the most populous is Nevada's 3rd with 1,060,651 residents.

Last edited by WSU JK; November 9th, 2012 at 09:17 PM.
WSU JK is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 1.17097 seconds with 20 queries