Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - people stranded in NY
View Single Post
Old October 31st, 2012, 12:35 PM   #47
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeBread View Post
Atlantic City New Jersey's average elevation is 10' above mean sea level. Storm surges higher than that are not unknown even if significant storms in that area are few and far between in our lifetimes.

It is in my humble opinion just as moronic to populate areas such as Manhattan, the Jersey Shore and any of those barrier islands to the point of tens of thousands of people per square mile as it is build a series of dams, pumping stations and the like to create a city in the swamp below sea level in Louisiana

Regarding the evacuation orders. By some estimates it would take 5 days to fully evacuate that region given the congestion. Many people in that area do not own their own vehicles.

Those that said "nah...I'm alright I survived Irene" and then realized they were way over their head, especially if they had the means to evacuate are obviously the ones that most of us want to see punished with living with the consequences of their decisions.

However... this is 'Merica where nothing is ever our own fault, and excuses reign supreme.
All good points. I draw some lines between mainland and the barrier islands, and I admit my lines may be fuzzy.: Most of us are familiar with the term "100 year flood" and I would consider Sandy to fall into that catagory. They are saying Sandy is the largest storm on record and they have been saying the subways have never flooded in New York. (at this magnitude anyway, I'm sure there have been localized problems) So, what happened to inner New York and New Jersey is different than those on the barrier islands. My guess is that those on the barrier islands probably require flood insurance by their carriers. Still, how often have any of the barrier islands been destroyed?

All of us are at risk for some wild natural disaster. The question in my mind is whether it was predictable and likely or a rare chance and if these people were taking a high risk. Living 10 ft above sea level makes a lot more sense than living below sea level.

Page generated in 0.07418 seconds with 20 queries