Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - The real cost of Cable TV
View Single Post
Old September 17th, 2012, 03:13 PM   #16
Skooter_Built
Fuck talk, Duck walk!

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryann View Post
The article is common sense. If you currently have any sort of expense that is a want and cut it out you could do the same math. My life would suck if I didn't have internet at home. No internet at home means that I am in the office 80 hours a week rather than my current 40, and if something goes wrong in the middle of the night I have to go somewhere to gain connection instead of just opening my laptop. I could live without cable TV since we download a lot and I only sort of listen to TV while I work but why should I?
Here is a list of discretionary spending that I can think of off the top of my head that would also net you the same benefits financially.

Coffee
Cigarettes
Lunches
Dinners
Extra driving
Soda
Sports drinks
Hobbies
5 hour energy
Snacks
Processed food
Gym memberships
Phone service
New vehicle or newer used vehicle costs
Clothes (you could buy at salvation army)
Animals

My point is, I could go on and on. If you live within your means and save properly for retirement then you don't have to give everything you enjoy up. I did the Dave Ramsey financial peace university about a year ago. I took the class because I thought there was some good information about investing. I was really surprised at our discretionary spending. We have cut it some but why save every penny to either leave it to your kids or build wealth for when you are 60 if you can reasonably save and still enjoy your life?

I think what is more crazy is that people taking that class with me couldn't seperate the wants and the needs. Really, budgeting is basic math.
In your list, you forgot to add in children.

If you want peace, prepare for war!

Forgiveness is between them and God. It's my job to arrange the meeting.
Skooter_Built is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.09204 seconds with 20 queries