Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Constitutional Amendments on Ballot This Fall
View Single Post
Old September 3rd, 2012, 05:02 PM   #19
High Center Hancho
rack tap re-rack click

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
I think any job description can fall into a pay scale range. Within that range a person can be graded based on attitude and skill. I don't believe that anyone should be paid top dollar just because they are the longest on the job. Using the example of Clarkston vs Pontiac, judging the quality of the teacher does not need to be based on the grade scales of the student. You said it yourself, it should be based upon a teacher's efforts and attitudes.

RE fire and police, I'd much rather have a young energetic problem solver working for me than an old frumpy guy who thinks he got passed by unfairly and holds a grudge. I don't claim to have all the answers but I'm a firm believer that a person shouldn't be paid the highest amount just because he has the highest seniority. There are people who are willing to go the extra mile and there are people who won't go an extra step because "that's not my job".
Going the extra mile is not always worth it, in fact you start doing that too much and people will begin to think that you SHOULD be going the extra mile. I'm not afraid of work, far from it...however I WILL not go the extra mile, I will do exactly what is expected of me. If I start picking up the slack where others left off, it promotes laziness on their parts, because they know someone will take care of what they were supposed to do for them, and secondly people will start expecting me to pick up the slack. And just because I won't go the extra mile, doesn't mean I have a bad attitude. What it means is I will do the job you pay me for. It will be done in an proficient manner, with little to no supervision, and it will be done right the first time. Why? Because I take pride in MY work..
High Center Hancho is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.05911 seconds with 20 queries