Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - my new rig - 2011 KOH buggy, and wheeling pics from Johnson Valley, CA
View Single Post
Old July 12th, 2012, 11:46 AM   #1
knaffie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default my new rig - 2011 KOH buggy, and wheeling pics from Johnson Valley, CA

On July 5th, I drove down to Johnson Valley, CA (where they run King of the Hammers) for a test drive and purchase of my new rig. My expectations were very high, and I'm delighted to say that this thing exceeded my expectations. What so many refer to as "just a stock LS1" made more than enough power to keep me happy (at least for now). The suspension was amazing. We were able to hold 50-60 mph over 2-3' whoops with no issues. It crawled amazingly well, especially with the sticky Krawlers. I love the way the dual Magnaflow mufflers sounds, especially at WOT. Everything about the car worked awesome.

It was loaded on the semi in LA yesterday. Hopefully I'll have it tomorrow.

I have plans to change a few things. First thing is that in the next couple week, five brand new Raceline wheels will be arriving. The ones on it (and the black steel spare shown) are being replaced under warranty. I had Nate remove the $$$$ race radio and GPS package and I've purchased a new Rugged Radio Intercom set. I'm going to leave the gargantuan 34 gallon fuel cell, at least for now. I did not purchase the back seat, but I did purchase the 14 gallon fuel cell that goes in there. I'm going to have a rack built over top of the fuel cell so I have a place to put tools, a cooler, gear, etc. I have a 3 quart accumulator I'm going to have installed to protect the engine from oil loss on inclines. I have 8 new HID lights on the way, but I'm not sure how many of them will make it on there or where I'll put them. I have tentative plans for a new wrap, but I have no idea what I want yet (ideas are welcome). Beyond that, its just little ideas here and there.

This car was not built for KOH, but it was raced in 2011. It as built by Rick Mooneyham (aka EZ Rick), owner of Trick Toys Fab and "borrowed" from the owner for the race. They ran 2nd place for quite a while, even while battling problems with fuel cell foam plugging the fuel filter. They broke a rear axle shaft ($$$ Superior 14 bolt shaft) on back door, and by the time that was replaced, they fell back to and eventually finished in 25th place. Still very respectable for a car of this caliber, considering how many of the cars it was competing with were built.

Specs:

Chassis- TTF (Trick Toys Fab) Crawl-rite 4 Chassis, 1.5" DOM with .188 sub-frame, .156 exterior tubes, and .120 interior tubes, 1/8" AL roof, 1/2" UHMW boat sides and bottom

*** Car dimensions*** 111" Wheelbase with 83" track width front, 80" width rear, 70" tall at ride height with 20"ish belly, I've never weighed car but race-ready should be sub 4K pounds...

Motor- LS1 (from 2002 Camaro SS) with 5 wire harness and flipped intake so the air filter is in the car breathing clean air, Bosch 044 fuel pump, Turnkey Engine Supply Pre-filter, Corvette style filter/regulator, Turnkey Engine Supply high mount alternator and bracket, fuel lines and fittings are all AN with push-loc high pressure hose

Trans- Built TH350 with upgraded clutches, compression braking, and RMVB, B&M shifter, and a huge Fluidyne cooler that keeps the transmission under 150 degrees...always! Transmission lines and fittings are all AN with push-loc high pressure hose

Transfer Case- Atlas 4.3 with 32 spline outputs

Front axle- Fully Custom high pinion Solid/Rock Crusher housing with Reid C's, Solid Knuckles and high steer, Solid hubs and Chevy 1/2 ton brakes, Detroit with 5.38 gears and Superior 35 spline chromo shafts (best chromo shafts you can buy) clearanced to 50 degrees by Branik, Longfield D60 300M u-joints, Detroit Locker

Rear Axle- Trussed OG 14 bolt with a shave, 5.38 gears and an RD114 ARB locker. Chevy 1/2 ton brakes

Front Suspension- Triangulated 4 Link with 1.5 uppers and FK 7/8" Heims, 2" Heat Treated Chromo lowers with FK 1 1/4" Heims, Fox 14" 2.5 Coilovers with reservoirs and dual rate springs

Rear Suspension- Triangulated 4 Link with 1.5 uppers and FK 7/8" Heims, 2" Heat Treated Chromo lowers with FK 1 1/4" Heims, 16" Fox 2.5 Coilovers with dual rate springs and Fox 16" 2.5 Triple Bypasses

Steering- Full PSC race hydraulic setup, high performance N-pump, orbital, 10" double ended ram for 50 degree steering, Derale steering cooler, and all synthetic Amsoil fluids

Driveshafts- High Angle Driveline 1350 shafts with CV shaft in the front

Wheels - (5) 17" Raceline Monsters with AL rings

Tires- (5) 39" BFG Krawlers...4 tires are 95%, spare is about 30%...

Gauges- Autometer Carbon series gauges (Tach, fuel, oil pressure, water temp, volts, and trans temp), 12 Volt Guy switch panel with remote winch control

Winch- Narrowed Warn M8000 with Amsteel Blue synthetic line

Front Seats- PRP Comp Highbacks with DJ Safety Harnesses

Fuel Cell- Jaz 32 gallon race fuel cell (new after KOH '11) with new foam for racing and a 14 gallon aluminum cell that fits behind the rear seat for when you want to play on the trail with the family

Extras- Window nets, (2) Parker Pumpers (new), spare PSC steering N-pump (new), spare Bosch 044 fuel pump and fuel filter/regulators (both new), Wilwood Master cylinder/brake pedal, CNC dual handle turning brakes, hydraulic valve parking brake, ARB air compressor, steel braided brake lines and ARB line

Anyway (enough babble), here she is.

knaffie is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.15362 seconds with 21 queries