Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - what do you not like about church/going to church?
View Single Post
Old November 8th, 2006, 10:30 PM   #20
amc78cj7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

First and foremost I think a good christian church invites everyone to hear the word and come to know christ. It should not be an exclusive club. That being said, I also think that to share the word to everyone does not mean to say "you sin is OK". But rather to say "we all have sin, let's learn about how to live as Christ commands and wash away the sin in our life".

I was raised U.C.C (United Church of Christ) Now in these parts the U.C.C was primarily a evangelical church (ie. the "German" church very rooted in following scripture) although the church had always been a merger of the evangelical and congregational churches. Recently I learned that the whole of the UCC is moving away from the Evangelical church. In fact, the loose interpretation of the bible by the "new UCC" completely conflicts with what I consider to be the intent of Christ. Based on that I have not been to church in 1 year. I really need to find a church that follows scripture without having all the roman rituals of the catholic church. BTW, the UCC now has a commercial with two lesbian women holding hands, if you have seen it. Now that is not to say that I don't think gay people should go to church, but I also don't think they should be "celebrating" a sin that brought down cities in the bible. The UCC even has a huge lobby group in Washington supporting gay rights.

Here is a description of how polar the UCC church is from their website:

The United Church of Christ came into being in 1957 with the union of two Protestant denominations: the Evangelical and Reformed Church and the Congregational Christian Churches. Each of these was, in turn, the result of a union of two earlier traditions.

The Congregational Churches were organized when the Pilgrims of Plymouth Plantation (1620) and the Puritans of the Massachusetts Bay Colony (1629) acknowledged their essential unity in the Cambridge Platform of 1648.

The Reformed Church in the United States traced its beginnings to congregations of German settlers in Pennsylvania founded from 1725 on. Later, its ranks were swelled by Reformed immigrants from Switzerland, Hungary and other countries.

The Christian Churches sprang up in the late 1700s and early 1800s in reaction to the theological and organizational rigidity of the Methodist, Presbyterian and Baptist churches of the time.

The Evangelical Synod of North America traced its beginnings to an association of German Evangelical pastors in Missouri. This association, founded in 1841, reflected the 1817 union of Lutheran and Reformed churches in Germany.

Through the years, other groups such as American Indians, Afro-Christians, Asian Americans, Pacific Islanders, Volga Germans, Armenians, and Hispanic Americans have joined with the four earlier groups. In recent years, Christians from other traditions, including the Roman Catholic Church, have found a home in the UCC, and so have gay and lesbian Christians who have not been welcome in other churches. Thus the United Church of Christ celebrates and continues a broad variety of traditions in its common life.

Last edited by amc78cj7; November 8th, 2006 at 10:39 PM.
amc78cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.07475 seconds with 20 queries