Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - How far would you drive it and wheel it?
View Single Post
Old May 3rd, 2012, 10:33 AM   #22
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 974x4Taco View Post
I will add this,

I watched a friend trailer his rig to tellico, wheel 3 days, then blow the trans on his towrig 3 miles into the trip home leaving him stranded...his trailrig was fully operational and would have driven home.

Nothing is fool proof
Bummer that shit happens. But, do the math. I'm sure you will find that the likelihood of a trail rig seeing carnage is far higher than a tow rig. That climb in and out of Crawford's Camp was a killer. My motorhome puked a bunch of trans fluid towing my 24' enclosed up that winding hill.

One of the bigger differences is the type of wheeling a person does. A simple trail riding vacation is far different than wheeling some of the hardest trails in the country. The other is the type of vehicle you have. My jeep is fun to drive up to Dairy Queen or drive 20 miles to a trail head. But driving hundreds, if not thousands of miles in a rig that is noisy, drafty and bouncy revving along at a high rpm because of low gears is not my cup of tea. Not to mention that it quickly wears out very expensive tires. Then add in the difficulty of packing luggage and spare parts is a PITA.

Page generated in 0.06251 seconds with 20 queries