Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - F150 SAS Truggy
Thread: F150 SAS Truggy
View Single Post
Old May 1st, 2012, 02:14 PM   #107
jeepxj2007

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to jeepxj2007

.25 wall is not really a feasable option...I'd have around $250 into the sliders, plus the thats a little more than this benders capablity, and I'd be right back at the same issue off all the weight way out there... I did something a little different with some 1.75x.120 wall dom that I like a little better....It will get at least another support in the middle of the run if not 2. I kept it up high in relation to the frame so it doesnt get banged up too bad....I'm not really concerned with the tube bending, I can brace it enough to stop that, I'm concerned with it denting. Ive seen smaller tube dent pretty easy, and a piece I got from the steel yard already had a small ding in it, but I dont really seeing it being a huge issue unless it kinked it or something. I am going to come off of this structure that I built with rock sliders you see a lot of cherokees run with, but angled upward at about a 30 degree angle, and tie the front pillar of the cage into them. Then the tube that runs along the hood that isn't there yet will tie into them as well. This is only tacked right now on both ends and I can put my entire body weight on it and it doesnt move at all, but the whole truck does....and it weighs a fraction of what the 2x6 weighed...here are some pics of how it is started out... Where the tube meets the frame I am throwing in a small fishplate incase I ever have to remove the tube I can cut it without having to be careful of cutting up the frame in the process and it should stiffen the frame up somewhat in the areas where the tube connects to it.

jeepxj2007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.10413 seconds with 20 queries