View Single Post
Old March 21st, 2012, 11:38 AM   #42
kickstand
sHaMoNe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote Red View Post
Are you saying if we used less fuel overall we would not need to make as many shipments of oil from the Middle East to America on ships that burn fuel and pollute. Then once it is here we would not need as many trucks delivering the refined oil to the gas stations burning fuel and polluting? Are you trying to imply that a point could be reached within reason as to the amount of pollution released by the delivery of the gas would be less than the pollution released by the general public in commuting if we focused on MPG improvements rather than tighter emission standards?
well yes, those things, and overal oil used in general, and whatever pollutants are created during the refinery, drilling, and delivery processes of a gallon of gas.

since i am emissions dumb, let's just say that to create 1 gallon of useable automotive gasoline creates 40 parts pollutant. (drilling, transporting, refining, transporting, pumping into said car etc)

And let's say the burning of 1 gallon of gasoline in the average car creates 1 part pollutant.

Now if we could allow said car to get double the mpg, or maybe 1.5 the mpg(for sake of argument , much less restrictive emissions, less mass (as scoots pointed out), and it's easy math) which I think is reasonably possible.

So since the math is easy, let's now say that said cars on the road now create twice the pollutant per gallon of gas, but travel twice as far.....we've broken even there. (it used to take 2 gallons and 2 pollutant parts to travel 60 miles, but now we create 2 pollutant parts and only burn 1 gallon of fuel to go 60 miles) we still create 40 pollutant parts per useable gallon (drill transport, refine, deliver), except we've cut our demand in half.....Nearly cutting our emissions in half.

I don't doubt my math, (as it is all hypothetical) and my theory has plenty of holes in it, but I have to wonder if there is any sort of possiblity to this train of thought at all.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.05299 seconds with 11 queries