Thread: My YJ
View Single Post
Old February 27th, 2012, 01:04 PM   #26
Jeep ZJ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw1st3d5 View Post
If you get the right alternator all the wiring is the same. The only difference is it's a 7 groove pulley instead of 6. Most people will just run on the back 6 grooves (perfect alignment) but you can swap the pulleys.

136 Amp Alternator OEM part # 56027913

1997-1998 Dodge B.Series Van
1997-1998 Dodge Dakota
1998 Dodge Durango
1997-1998 Dodge Ram Pickup
1997-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee
And other vehicles but those are just a few common ones.
But arent the pullys different sizes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioYJ View Post
I originally ordered a TeraFlex knuckle for my Dana 30. However it ended up on back order, so I temporarily bent the drag link just barely to clear the leaf springs. It didn't need much. By the time the TeraFlex knuckle had come in, I had already swapped in a Dana44 with flat top knuckles and "real" high steer.

Thanks. This should answer your questions about the alternator. You can run the pulley that comes with it, however I suggest you switch and put your stock YJ one on. The YJ pulley is smaller and thus it will spin faster producing both more power and sooner. To be honest upgrading the wiring has been on the list of things to do, but I never actually did it. It's been on there for years with the factory wiring. Peak output measured with my amp probe, while placing a load on the system was 174 amps, so I'm happy with it.
but if you swap the pullys making it spin faster wouldnt it put more wear on it? holw long has it been on your yj, how many times have you replaced it, and where did you get it??
Jeep ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.05829 seconds with 11 queries