View Single Post
Old February 24th, 2012, 02:05 PM   #1
RAVC1

Tracker or Sportage?

I am considering the early 4-door, 4x4 body style Sportage (MY?-> 2003) and newer body style Tracker (2001 ->MY?). Which of these vehicles is a better base to build a moderate use 4x4 with? I would be replacing the complete drive train (a small diesel engine, 231/242 transfer case and axles) with D30/D35 axles from a Cj/Yj/Tj/Xj (I know nothing regarding either of these small 4x4's suspension systems to know which Jeep vehicle would readily integrate into these respective vehicles.).

In general, I have not heard good things regarding either of these vehicles from mechanics I have trusted for decades so I am concerned. I have no desire to make a bad choice. The used Sportage is far less costly, but this is an apple/orange comparison as I dislike the early Tracker body and like the early Sportage body. Will I be "on my own" with every adaptation I consider for either of these small 4x4's? I have to believe someone has prepared solid examples of either of these vehicles. I just need to determine who these people are.

Maybe fabricating a 4-door Tj is a better way to go? Others have done it, so can I! I do not want the full leaf spring system of the Cj.

Rick

Last edited by RAVC1; February 24th, 2012 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Added important info!
RAVC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.04093 seconds with 11 queries