Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - End of life decisions
View Single Post
Old February 21st, 2012, 05:25 PM   #9
MonkeyBiz
Master Cocksman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to MonkeyBiz

Quote:
Not trying to be an insensitive prick here, but it is modern medicine keeping him alive not God.

My Grandmother had vascular dementia. Damn near in the exact same spot as your Grandpa is in. In the end she the disease literally made her forget how to swallow. She had fallen out of her wheelchair and broken her arm which wasn't healing. My Dad could have kept her alive with an IV, but at that point she didn't know who anyone was anymore and tube feeding her just would have drawn out her painful end.

Either way you cut it, whether it's 4-5 weeks or 4-5 years, he's still going to die from starvation, dehydration, etc. It will be painful either way. It's just whether you and your family feel it's necessary to let him continue to deteriorate for 4-5 years or let nature take it's course.
I get what you're saying, and I agree in some ways, but not in other. I believe to an extend, God is keeping him alive, his heart is beating well, when he's hydrated, he breathes well. His life sustaining stuff is keeping him alive, modern medicine is just making it more comfortable/tolerable... I think.

What my family is trying to disquingish is, where is the line between modern medicine intervention, and letting nature take it's course. If I had been 'left to take natures course' I would have been dead by the time I was 10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
That's a tough call. As only a grand child I would imagine you don't have as much of a voice. We went through a long and drawn out death with all 4 of my grandparents. It was tough.
Actually, I do, as up until he went to the nursing home, my mom and I, out of our family, have medical knowledge, were the ones that helped with medical care, took to doctors, interpreted what the doctors were telling my Grandma ect. I've been very fortunate that out of the 10 grand children, my opinion has been asked, many times. Both my Grandma (POA) and Uncle (POA) revert to us (my mom and I) when it comes to making medical decisions. We are on the call list, should a medical need arise, we asses, decide, then contact one of the POAs, to make the legal decision.

Quote:
The best advice I could give you is to not let your family make the Decision on convenience. Not saying they would, or they are, but it can be an issue for some people. "We don't want to have to watch after mom or dad for 4 or 5 years, lets "end their suffering". Like I said, I don't think that's the case here or very common, but it happens.
This is exactly what I am trying to avoid. It's seeming that 1/2 my family doesn't want to be inconvienced, and would rather just let him go, roughly.

Quote:
From the Christian Stand point, I would hope your Grandpa would have realized by now that he is not in control of his life. God is. And while God does have his timing (by using modern medicine) it might not be for purely your Grandpa's life. God uses our Sufferings to make us stronger. He could very well have your Grandpa in the position he is in to make an impact on someone he interacts with on a daily basis. Coherent or not.
Thanks.
Quote:
And just remember, they took care of you when you couldn't talk, you pooped your pants, and you weren't able to coherently talk. Seems only far that the favor be returned. .
Thats what I saying!

Last edited by MonkeyBiz; February 21st, 2012 at 05:38 PM.
MonkeyBiz is online now   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.10245 seconds with 20 queries