Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Ford 6.0 Diesel Techs.
View Single Post
Old February 18th, 2012, 12:18 AM   #1
Nuggets
I fix stuff!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default Ford 6.0 Diesel Techs.

I have been avoiding electronically controlled diesels for a long time because I didn't want to invest in the tools to do them. That coupled with the fact Ford felt it was a good idea to have a short pretty hoodline over making their trucks easily servicable as a fleet vehicle, but I digress.

I've come to the point where I may have to service injectors on a 2004 6.0 with a pickup cab. The time calls for 10 hours and I'm pretty sure the recommended procedure is to disconnect the cab from the frame and slide it back to service the engine. I would like to tap into your experience with these engineering marvels (I really know its more of a marketing issue) so I can bid the job out that is profitable to me yet attractve to the potential customer. I am courting this customer because they have 30 ish vehicles and I want a slice of the action. I've got my foot in the door, now it's time to dance.

Tell me what I need to do for a top quality job. My Mitchell softwear doesn't tell me much and the tool guy says no special tools area really required. From what I can tell, I only need injectors, valve cover gaskets, and some antifreeze. Do I need to drop the oil after the R&R? I would assume I am going to break apart the A/C system so I will need to recharge that too. Are there any other parts or pieces I need to include in the estimate?

Please enlighten me on what's involved. For those that don't know, I am a very experinced mechanic in both gas and diesel applications. I also have a well equiped shop.

Thanks in advance.
Nuggets is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06582 seconds with 20 queries