Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - TREC Class C "ZJ"
View Single Post
Old December 16th, 2011, 10:32 PM   #1
COYOTE
Cup holders & Rollbars

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default TREC Class C "ZJ"

The plan is to build a jeep to compete in the TREC series at the Badlands Offroad Park.

First a little history:
I bought the Jeep used in 1996. It had 36,000mi. I immediately installed a 4.5” Rubicon Express lift kit, 34” TSL’s, a locker in the rear, a limited slip in the front, 4.11’s and a Tomken bumper w/ mount for portable winch. I carried a 9500# Warn winch in the back for when needed. I built it this way because it was my daily driver and I was heavily involved with Two Trackers and Jeep Jamborees. The Grand Cherokee was perfect for this as there was plenty of room for my 3 small children, a cooler, supplies and the winch in the back. Plus my wife enjoyed the power windows and A/C. She doesn’t enjoy the mud and rock bashing that I do in my bigger TJ.

90,000mi and 7 years later I parked the Jeep for future use. When my oldest daughter turned 16 in 2008 the ZJ became her ride to school. 2010 I thought about trying to save it but the rust was to overwhelming so I tried to sell it.
FS/FT Grand Cherokee 4.5" Lift # 4:11 # posi ***Keeping it. Sold - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

But my daughter did not want to part with it. So Amy drove it till the summer of ’10, and then it was parked again because of a tranny leak. For the next year and half I let my other daughter Cary use it at Silver Lake but not on the road as the suspension is wore out.

So that brings it to this past fall and the Trailmaster Challenge. At the last minute I decided to enter it in the race as I had plans to cut it up anyhow. WHAT A BLAST!! I had run the first race in my TJ w/42’s and hated it. I parked after two laps, hard to steer thru the woods and no suspension. But with the zj the race was totally enjoyable, it steered thru Holy Moly like a dream, and was catching some awesome air going across the “fields”. That is until with about 45min left to race and I thought I had lost 4wd. I could not climb one of the hills so I got out and noticed that the front axle was no longer in one piece. Once Cary and I walked backed to the pits we found out we were in second place at the time that we broke, Damn it!
So now I am bitten.

Last edited by COYOTE; December 17th, 2011 at 02:10 AM.
COYOTE is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.09891 seconds with 21 queries