Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - 5th wheel / gooseneck vs bumper pull
View Single Post
Old December 9th, 2011, 05:15 AM   #10
chadcooper55
expert jeep disassembler

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblockford79 View Post
I agree, except I don't think you could even get 15* of roll with a fifth wheel. Considering is a cylindrical pin in a straight walled slot. Any roll deflection has to come from the hitch frame, trailer frame, truck frame, or any combination of the 3.

Some good Info:

Gooseneck vs 5th wheel - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

From Pirate -

"5th wheels in general are design for more weight capacity and stability over flat or semiflat terrain. As they don't allow lateral movement you basicly are using you trailers frame to flex every time you are in a off camber angle such as turning out of a driveway. Great for big tall heavy loads on the freeway were stability is king.

Gooseneck by design have infinite articulation at all angled. Though generally rated slightly less than a fifthwheel. At the weight and size trailer you're talking about you will never notice a difference. Goosenecks are the only way to go if you ever plan in have g to hit up a roughy trailhead or use the trailer around the ranch and what not. Much more versatile IMHO.
Go goose you'll never regret it. Plus if you use a hideaway ball mount you still have you're enire bed utlility when you need it."
All the 5th wheel hitched I have ever used have a pin that allows it to pivot side to side. In my work truck the rails are underneath the bed and there is 4 holes that go through the bed that the hitch mounts to so 4 pins and 4 bolts and I can POP the hitch out and i have nothing in the bed. It takes about 2 minutes.
chadcooper55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.05951 seconds with 20 queries