Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - 5th wheel / gooseneck vs bumper pull
View Single Post
Old December 9th, 2011, 05:27 AM   #9
bigblockford79
Big Block Ranger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84Scrambler View Post
For a car hauler pulling offroad rigs, do not go with a 5th wheel connection. A gooseneck has MUCH more flexibility in movement if you get in off camber situations where the truck and trailer get twisted around getting into someplace with a lot of hills or dips in the driveways, etc... I think I remember that a gooseneck typically has about 15* of movement to play with, while a gooseneck has at least 30*. I may be off on that some, but the GN has more room to move on the ball than a goose does on the plate.
I agree, except I don't think you could even get 15* of roll with a fifth wheel. Considering is a cylindrical pin in a straight walled slot. Any roll deflection has to come from the hitch frame, trailer frame, truck frame, or any combination of the 3.

Some good Info:

Gooseneck vs 5th wheel - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

From Pirate -

"5th wheels in general are design for more weight capacity and stability over flat or semiflat terrain. As they don't allow lateral movement you basicly are using you trailers frame to flex every time you are in a off camber angle such as turning out of a driveway. Great for big tall heavy loads on the freeway were stability is king.

Gooseneck by design have infinite articulation at all angled. Though generally rated slightly less than a fifthwheel. At the weight and size trailer you're talking about you will never notice a difference. Goosenecks are the only way to go if you ever plan in have g to hit up a roughy trailhead or use the trailer around the ranch and what not. Much more versatile IMHO.
Go goose you'll never regret it. Plus if you use a hideaway ball mount you still have you're enire bed utlility when you need it."

"A girls butt hole is like a 9 volt battery. You know its wrong, but eventually you put your tongue on it."
bigblockford79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.08851 seconds with 21 queries