Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Black Sunshine *It's Alive- Again!
View Single Post
Old December 1st, 2011, 10:43 AM   #72
SANDVIPR
Yeeeee Haaaaw!

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

I spent a few more hours this past weekend and yesterday bending up and burning in some more pieces of the inner body structure- mostly out of some stainless steel I had lying around. After several tack-welds, a ton of seam-sealer was added to lock out the water.

(sorry for the crappy cell pics)

and then placement of the new rear door-sill and getting it tacked in.

and then the work that I'm especially proud of.... I've never done any real metal-forming before.... I have some sheet-metal that's a couple gauges thicker than the factory tins. I started a little larger than I need so that I can trim it down to fit.
Then with a pair of thick leather gloves, a rubber mallet, my big vise, and the edge of my welding table, I wiggled, bent, and beat this into shape. It took about 20 minutes....

I have them propped up on a welding magnet because of the undercoating on the back of the old 1 and the folded edge where it was welded to the door-sill origionally. I'll notch the edge of the new patch panel so I don't mess up the radiuses and then make small sectioned bends. The last bit of welding can finelly get done (Saturday???) and then I can move on to the last little spot at the back that needs significant attention.
After that, it will be a pretty straight-forward prep and paint.
SANDVIPR is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.96518 seconds with 20 queries