Thread: 8.25 in a TJ??
View Single Post
Old November 15th, 2011, 11:40 AM   #7
ajmorell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to ajmorell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complete Off Road View Post
this is true. And while there is a little (very little) aftermarket support for the aluminum housing D44A in ZJs, it is pretty much entirely different that a 'standard' D44 and is not a great candidate for a swap. "Standard' D44 lockers, ring & pinions, etc, do not work in a D44A (also referred to a D44HD by some aftermarket companies)
Good info. There is enough aftermarket support to make the 44a pretty stout but there are two big limitations as far as I'm concerned:

-The obvious aluminum center section. It will eat bearings because it flexes more than a traditional iron center section. There is a company out there making a nice truss but I'm not going to mention their name since I have heard of a lot of problems from them lately. Regardless if you have a 44a, a truss is a good way to add a lot of strength and it will help eliminate the flex that eats bearings in these.

-There is very limited support for traction devices. Aussie was offering a locker for the 44a but last I knew they discontinued it. I though I saw that Yukon was making a grizzly locker for the 44a but I can't confirm that
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.03941 seconds with 11 queries