Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Does being in the service change a person?
View Single Post
Old October 17th, 2006, 04:46 PM   #17
PeteC
Get Up and Go

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Barb, tell your brother we wish him luck and look forward to his return.

As far as combat changing people, don't forget the civilians caught in the crossfire. My parents were teenagers in the Netherlands during WWII. You can see it in thier eyes and hear it in thier voices how the events of that war affected them. Death, Destruction, Despair, Liberation, Hope. My Mother readily talks about her experiences in Rotterdam, while my Father does not say much about his experiences in a small town on the Dutch/German border. They both saw different things and were both affected in different ways.

My younger brother served in the U.S Navy in the 80's. During the Qadafi threat. His battle group sailed towards Libya at one point. He came back different. Heck, basic chaged him. I think they put him on the rack and made him taller.

So yes, from someone who has only seen the results from afar, combat and/or service will change a person on one level or another. It is inevitable.

Last edited by PeteC; October 17th, 2006 at 04:48 PM.
PeteC is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.05844 seconds with 20 queries