One common thing that JeepM715 and I have been doing for the past 4 years or so is "Jeep Night". One weeknight a week we get together after work at one of our homes and spend the evening working on whatever project we've got going at the time. It keeps projects moving along, and keeps wives happy. And as White Rhino says "happy wife, happy life."
So last Wednesday, JeepM715 was over and we were going over the plan. The solid points were a new to us GM 5.3 or 6.0 and TH-350 and reuse my Atlas 2 and axles.
My garage was in a strange state: clean and empty. So when AlumCj stopped by, we decided the best thing to do was blow apart the TJ based on half a plan -- exactly how every project starts. The TJ rolled into the garage at about 8pm.
By 11pm, it looked like this. This pic is from Saturday after a power wash, but we had lifted the cage, pulled the tub, and set the cage back in place. All the wires were disconnected, and its nearly ready to remove the drivetrain. Big thanks to AlumCj for the hand. We spent the next hour bench racing before calling it a night.
So over the past few days, we've been trying to firm up the plans. So far it looks like this.
- Sell a bunch of stuff so we have a "budget"
- Picked up a blasted and cleaned stock TJ frame over the weekend.
- 2006 6.0 LQ4 with cable throttle, all lined up and should have next week.
- 4L60E with Jeep t-case adapter, picked up over the weekend.
- Atlas 2 with 4.3 low-range, already mocked up on the trans.
- Dana 60s, 4.88 gears, detroit front, spool rear. Narrowed and setup for 5x5.5 wheels.
- PRP seats from the Wagoneer
- mild stretch over stock up front (2-3"), 3-link & panhard to work with the steering box
- stretch the rear to a wheelbase of somewhere around 110"
- air bumps up front, either reused timbrens out back or air bumps if we can swing it
- plenty of custom brackets from Motor City Machines
That's about it. 1st race of 2012 is March 31th.