Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - People march on Wall Street-Media Blackout
View Single Post
Old September 29th, 2011, 06:21 PM   #45
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOoTeR View Post
Why?

Do people that are more successful use more governmental resources? That's rhetorical, you know, so don't answer. People that earn less use more of the government's resources.

So let me ask you this: as we continue to give those "less fortunate in the lottery of life" tax breaks and government aid, what impetus remains to drive people to better themselves and achieve a higher level of success?

In simple words, requiring people that earn more to pay more in tax is a penalty our government levies on success. Sure, people that make more certainly have more to give; why should the government elect itself to decide where my money goes (via higher tax rates)? Is the government so moral and just that it will direct more of my dollars to worthy organizations than my current charitable contributions?

I usually see your point clearly Bruce - but not here.
How would you like a 12% pay cut? Or even better, a 18% pay cut under the Cain "9-9-9" plan? What if you were barely getting by, and I don't mean KerryAnn's friend making 50K and thinking they are barely getting by, but one of the 15% or so who live in poverty, and had to give up another 12 to 18% or more? Do you think that will provide the impetus to better themselves and achieve a higher level of success? How many more will end up homeless? How many more will face hunger? How many more will turn to crime? Do you think this will make America a better place? Do you think this would increase or decrease the odds of America dissolving into class warfare? Do you think the resulting increase in the divergence in wealth and income will help or hinder the overall prosperity of this country?

Trust me I would love to pay less taxes. (Slippery slope coming)How about this, in rough numbers the federal government takes in about $1.8 trillion a year in income and payroll taxes. There are about 300 million people in the country. So that comes out to $6000 per person per year. So if we all benefit from government spending equally, I'll just pay my $6000 a year and be done with it. It'll suck for a family of 4 that has to pay $24000 but what do I care. Maybe it will provide the impetus for them to better themselves.

Cliff notes answer: because I don't think the alternative is whats best for the country.
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06701 seconds with 20 queries