Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Best way to build centered housing axle.
View Single Post
Old September 23rd, 2011, 01:49 AM   #11
cerial

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

The 80 housings are not cheap and would require bracing to come close to what diamond could offer. Yes I get the floater, a selectable locker, and one beefy 3rd. But, I want this to be 70" outside tire to outside tire. A stock 80 would be wider then I want requiring custom wheels with a offset that would have me hitting the hubs into things. I could see dropping $1500 into buying a stock 80, upgrading the breaks, shafts, shortening, and rebuilding it.

Beefing a 8" makes a lot more sense then using a 80 to me.

Actually the more I look at the 8" setup that Jesus mentioned the better it looks. Think I will end up upgrading the r/p anyway for security over wondering how many miles the old had. The hp front would avoid vibration issues and I always see there always being a aftermarket for it.

I just don't know the amount of gusseting(that may deform the housing) would be required for the weight or If I would be better off just going with a thicker housing from diamond that would eliminate any need for gusseting.
cerial is online now   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.05742 seconds with 20 queries