Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Mira's Jeep Cherokee Sport
View Single Post
Old September 20th, 2011, 08:16 PM   #156
1x1_Speed_Craig
Simplify...

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

The HD Offroad Engineering install continues...

Mira is a little apprehensive about using the MAPP Gas torch...can you tell? She's heating the upper shackle bolt to help free it up for removal.

Because I'm a nice dad, and because Mira would have gotten completely bent trying to break the bolt free , I loosened (slightly) the upper shackle bolt, and then turned Mira loose with the 1/2" ratchet.

I mentioned previously that this Jeep build would be full of teaching moments. This is one of them. Teaching moment = Rusty Jeep bolts are a PITB (pain in the butt). Even after I broke it free, and after Mira added heat, the bolt was still somewhat tough to remove. Note the look on Mira's face. After spouting off a few comments in a seriously annoyed tone, I explained to Mira that this WAS a teaching moment, and this is one of the things that us "Jeep folk" deal with on a regular basis. I then became "Mr. Nice Guy" again and removed the bolt the rest of the way for her.

Shackle removed from the mount.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mira_heat_1.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	83701   Click image for larger version

Name:	mira_removing_shackle_1.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	83702   Click image for larger version

Name:	mira_removing_shackle_2.jpg