View Single Post
Old September 20th, 2011, 01:51 PM   #2
Haggar
Covered in mud...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

For 35s, there's no reason to go through quite so much trouble.

35s will not hurt standard mini truck stuff.

Use a standard front, with either 1.5" spacers, or IFS hubs, and you'll be at 58.5-59" wide. The 86+ rear housing is strong, and 58" wide, and centered already.

Don't get me wrong, diamond axles are pimp. But if you are big enough to need them, you need more width. 35s are nothing on toys.

4.10s are the standard gears, and you can bring a stock 3rd member with you. There are factory low and high pinion e-lockers available from TRD tacomas/4 runners, and FJ80 fronts, respectively, which came also with 4.10s.

The rear axle needs nothing. factory 4.10s are very strong, as are the shafts. I completely abused mine with 1.5" spacers (to make it 61" wide) with heavy 38.5 swamper SXs. The shafts are very very strong.

For a front, a 84-85 housing, 1.5" spacers, 59" wide. Upgrade to longfield 30 splines. Upgrade to ARP knuckle Studs and high steer arms. The factory aisin hubs are plenty strong for 35s. For peace of mind, ARB hub studs and chrome moly hub gears are nice. I didn't use them with 36s, no failures. Upgraded when I went to 38.5s.

Brakes: Nice way is up front, use 88+ 'V6' calipers (have fins on them), and ~1980-ish FJ40 (vented rotors). With 15" rims, you usually have to grind, they should clear 16" rims fine. Now take your front rotors and old calipers and put them on the rear, using some bolt-on brackets. This, with a dual diaphram booster and 1" master easily could lock my 38.5s, and they are all factory parts available at the store.

I have built a custom toyota housing, I believe I have a post on here about it, but the pics are gone. Its not TOO hard, but you need a welder, lathe, metal saws, alignment bar and pucks, etc.

IMO, you don't need custom housings for that width, 35s, and a lightweight Jeep. These are very strong axles for their size.

LOL, I'm been rough on you some times but not out of spite, just the questioning engineer in me.

If you wanted to go with mini truck axles, let me know, I have a set that'd work great for you, very cheap. (I have an 85 front, 87 rear, 4.10s in them.) I was going to use them in my fiberglass CJ3b, but between my Scramber, and my hot-rod CJ6 project, I have no time for the old flattie....
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.08521 seconds with 11 queries