Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - 1982 cj7
Thread: 1982 cj7
View Single Post
Old September 8th, 2011, 08:34 PM   #19
reptile610

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to reptile610 Send a message via MSN to reptile610 Send a message via Yahoo to reptile610

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSailor View Post
Looks like a afun project. A couple of opinions:

1. I'd get rid of those goofy extra-long shackles.

2. A SOA conversion is a PITA and not necessarily cheap if it's done right and all the geometry is done correctly. I'd get a basic suspension (spring) lift and call it good.

3. I've run automatic lockers (with 4.56 gears) in both axles of my CJ7 for over 15 years without any problems. I'd avoid the expense and possible snagging of air lines with air lockers.

4. If you're contemplating running tires larger than 32", or swapping in a larger engine, you might want to consider changing the rear axle over to one-piece axleshafts or a full floater system. The former is much cheaper, but the latter is stronger and more versatile.

5. Converting over to a diesel is going to be somewhat of a drawn-out project. On the other hand, AMC 360 engines are still rather plentiful, cheap, and easy to swap in.
no idea what im doing yet. plans have changed drastically since buying it. but it has 33's on it right now. i would like to keep this engine until it explodes and then see where im at. also would like dana 44's eventually. no idea for a lift. would like to do the soa with a 1" body lift but like i said. plans change as i get more stuff done and i dive deeper into the project.
reptile610 is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06657 seconds with 20 queries