PLEASE Help GLFWDA Save 56th Ave Near Silver Lake!
* Who: Four wheelers and those willing to help save this road
* What: Bobcats and Kubota type tractors would be a BIG help, saws, shovels, hard tined rakes. sledge hammers, post-hole diggers, leather palmed work gloves, and eye protection
* When: 9:00 AM on Saturday, September 17th
RAIN DATE 9:00 AM Saturday, October 1st
* Where: We'll meet at the Park-N-Ride lot on the north east corner of US-31 and M-20 then travel to the site together.
* WHY: Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association has partnered with adjacent residents and the Oceana County Road Commission to provide some badly needed maintenance to 56th Ave immediately north of Marshville Dam Road. This is one of the few Seasonal Roads in the Silver Lake area that provide an easy trail ride for those seeking an alternative to the Dunes while they're in the area. Through the years some parts of the road have become overgrown while the hill it traverses has recently begun to erode. The erosion is happening startlingly fast and needs to be addressed ASAP. Adjoining land owners were going to petition the OCRC to have it abandoned, and the OCRC would probably have done so since they lack the funding to make effective repairs. We see this attitude quite frequently. But, through the intervention of GLFWDA, a compromise plan was developed that will benefit all parties. The adjoining land owners don't have to worry about the erosion, or having the road's path shift onto their land. The OCRC won't be asked to supply labor they can not afford for such a little traveled road. We get to continue to use it. There are a handful of other Seasonal Roads that provide a nice trail ride with some minor 4wd use on hills and in sandy areas. The OCRC is willing to drop the gravel we will need to fill the erosion, but the labor is up to those of us who would like to continue to have access.
PLEASE HELP US SAVE THIS RUSTIC ROAD!
Last edited by Trail_Fanatic; August 24th, 2011 at 05:41 PM.