Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - What do you do when you cause an oil spill offroad?
View Single Post
Old August 15th, 2011, 09:37 PM   #14
kb8ymf
Not as old as Whiterhino

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alterego View Post
I know everyone is on an environmental green kick. The reality of it is that any one that wants to be completely environmentally conscious needs to remove themselves from society and go live in a cave and wipe your ass with a leaf in lieu of toilet paper.
The point is that given all the trouble that you may go through to clean up 5 quarts of spilled oil from poking a hole in your oil pan in the big scheme of things it is nonexistent.
Yep, opening a container and dumping some PeatSorb on the spill is a SHIT LOAD of work. It's about setting an example and doing the right thing.

Quote:
If some jack ass wants to write a scathing article, it will only gain traction if people who champion the entire green environmental agenda are not willing to admit that more oil is sent out in ink on news papers and then sent to landfills to push the agenda than is spilled in all off road events in history.
Try not to be part of the agenda. Do the best you can, and do what you can.
So is carrying a $15.00 container of PeatSorb that much of a hardship?

Quote:
If you facilitate the carrying of a cleanup kit it will not be long before you are issued one with your ORV permit, at a reasonable fee, plus tax, through a company that has ties to the legislator who flew his private jet to the capital to impose the new rules on you.
Or better yet, you can set an example and carry one yourself and set an example instead of you being made an example of.

I really don't understand the mentality of those who don't want to be proactive and do the right thing. Is it really that hard?
Same can be said for those who go wheeling totally unprepared. I see it everywhere I go, North, south, east and west. I see it in every big named event I go to.
Who carries a first aid kit anymore? Or a fire extinguisher? How about extra water? Better yet how about a few simple hand tools like a screw driver and pliers? It never fails that whatever event I'm at the vehicle most likely to break, usually does, and the owner doesn't even have a set of simple tools to fix his junk.

For those who remember October 1999, We need another '3 Days in the Canadian Bush' situation to shake some real sense into what I see as the 'new crop' of fourwheelers that have yet to experience some near life and death situations in order to get them to wake up and open their eyes.

Same can be said for extraction techiniques. It wasn't but a short time ago I had to stop a user for trying to use a strap with hooks on both ends to snatch a Chevy 1 ton buried up to it's axles in a mud bog. It ultimately took a double lined 10,000 winch with a deadman to get it out. Mind you this guy should have known better. Same can be said for vehicles without tow hooks and inferior recovery equipment. Take a trip the Mounds some weekend and tell me how many chains you see pulling people out? It won't be long till someone is seriously hurt out there.

How many of you remember Jonathan Blystra? Not enough I suspect.

I apologize if If sounds like I'm soapboxing but when you've seen as much crap as I have in almost 37 years of wheeling, those who preach and practice the minimalist attutude are the ones who need the most help.

It's not about conforming to the establishments requirements and being 'eco-green', but rather you taking responsibility and doing what's right. Sure trying to live off the grid with zero carbon footprint is not a real possibility but how about just trying to minimize your footprint so you have less of an impact?

I'm be happy to take this offline if you'd like.

Jim-kb8ymf
president@ufwda.org
kb8ymf is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.12642 seconds with 20 queries